At some point in your natural hair journey, you have experienced all of these. If not you, my friend, are LUCKY!
These 4 things by themselves are uffff, but these 4 things together are UFFFFFFFF! They can make or break a style that you’ve put a lot of effort into.
For this reason, I am going to recommend a few products and dish a few tips on how to minimize and/or get rid of Unruly Edges, Frizz, Shrinkage & Fuzzy Ends!
Unruly Edges can take a clean looking style and turn it into a HOT MESS! Often times, it is really hard to find an edge control that does just that–control edges. When we think edge control, we think:
- sleek and shiny, but not too shiny
- maximum hold with longevity
- sweat/water resistant
- doesn’t flake or cause crust on the hair
- doesn’t harden the hair
- no product buildup and no white residue
- isn’t sticky
- moisturizing and hydrating
Edge Control FYI
When it comes to your edges remember:
- Your edges are sensitive.
- CHECK your ingredients. Refrain from using any products with drying alcohols, petroleum and mineral oils that will clog your hair follicles.
- LESS is more. You don’t have to cake edge control onto your hair.
- AVOID tight pulling and style repetition. Leave buns, ponytails, and updos a little loose to avoid too much tugging and pulling. If you can, move them around from time to time to avoid repetitive stress to the same area (i.e. high bun, low ponytail, hair pinned in a certain style, etc.)
- SLEEP on a satin.Pillowcases, scarves, and bonnets all reduce friction, which causes breakage, between your hair and pillows or sheets. Be sure to tie your edges down before tying up your hair!
Below are the top 5 ranked Edge Control products.
1. Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Edge Control Gel
Contains coconut oil and aloe vera. Provides medium hold and maximum hydration. Oh, it also won the Best of the Best Awards!
2.Curls Passion Fruit or Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste
Both of these edge controls contain fruity scents and healthy extracts that are good for natural hair, and provide a great hold without the stickiness of most edge controls. For moisturized edges and a great hold, try the Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste. It contains glycerin, castor oil, mango, jojoba, and more. To strengthen your edges while adding hold, try the Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste. It contains keratin, quinoa, and silk amino acids.
3. EcoStyler Gel with Argan Oil
EcoStyler! What can I say. One of these gels should be a staple in every naturlaistas pantry. It is budget friendly, alcohol-free gel and slicks back edges. It can harden and form a gel cast, so mixing it during application with your favorite oil will help prevent a crunch when it dries.
4. Design Essentials Honey and Shea Edge Tamer
Design Essentials products are packed with glycerin and oils that nourish and seal in moisture. This edge tamer contains castor oil which will hydrate, protect, and hold edges in place for the long haul.
5. As I Am Smoothing Gel
This edge control can be used for laying edges and styling. This gel will give you super sleek edges and long lasting hold without hardening and flaking. For maximum slickness and hold, apply to damp edges.
How do you smooth your edges? What’s your favorite product and smoothing regimen?
Frizz is another very common struggle faced by most naturalistas. Frizz is most commonly caused by:
- Harsh handling of the hair (combing, brushing and styling techniques)
- Lack of Moisture
- Dry Styling (styling hair that lacks moisture or that is not damp or wet)
- Humidity (especially when using stylers, moisturizers or leave ins containing humectants: glycerin, honey, etc.) which attract moisture and cause swelling of the hair when it dries
- Over manipulation and constant touching of the hair (GUILTY!)
Anti-frizz products are plentiful, but determining which product(s) work best for you is a matter of trial and error.
When styling your hair in styles such as twists for twist outs or braids for braid outs, be sure to lightly coat your hands with a butter or oil to minimize frizz. Products or raw ingredients such as shea butter, castor oil, mango butter, coconut oil and olive oil are a few butters and oils that you can use. Also, make sure to keep your hair moisturized.
To prevent fuzzy roots and ends, make sure to follow the same steps as you would to prevent frizz in general. Again, moisturize well. Apply generous amounts of butters or oils to the roots and ends of wet/damp hair to reduce/eliminate the fuzz. Make sure that your hair is completely dry before taking down your twists or braids.
Check out How To below on moisturizing and sealing your hair to help prevent frizziness.
Compliments of NaturallyCurly.com
“The simple fact is that shrinkage is part of the natural hair journey, so you should know how to work with your curls, not against them.”
Every naturalista faces shrinkage. 1. People underestimate the length of your hair because of shrinkage. 2. Your hair almost never elongates because of shrinkage. I still haven’t managed to master the art of elongating my hair, but below are a few tips and products that both you and I will have to try.
To enlongate your curls naturally, there are 3 very popular methods.
1. The Blow Dryer: Use the blow dryer on medium or high, cool or heat setting. Place the blow dryer on the roots, grab your hair by the ends and run the blow dryer over your roots, and half way down your hair.
2. Diffuser Method: On damp hair, use the diffuser low to medium, cool setting. Place the diffuser on the ends of your hair and scrunch the hair towards your head until that section is dry. Repeat these steps until all of your hair is dry. Diffusing helps create more defined curls, and gives the hair volume.
3. Band Method: After twisting your hair, tie several elastic bands down the length of the hair. If using multiple bands, try to evenly space the bands for maximum stretch.
If you don’t want shrinkage, look for products containing these ingredients as they are anti-shrinkage.
- Bamboo Milk
- Shea Butter
- Mango Butter
1. Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Anti Shrinkage Coil Moisturizing Soufflé
This curl definer is infused with mango and bamboo milk which are known to moisturize, define and elongate curls without making the hair stiff and crunchy.
2. Design Essential Natural Curl Stretching Cream
This stretching cream is light and creamy and adds shine and definition to your curls. It will also moisturize your hair and control frizz.
3. Aunt Jackie’s Curls & Coils Don’t Shrink Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel
Aunt Jackie’s Don’t Shrink Flaxseed Gel works well on all curls and coils. This lightweight gel will not leave you with a crunch or residue,but with elongated hair and a healthy shine.
Do you use a product that works really well for you,but isn’t listed here? Share it with other naturalistas below!
Meanwhile, check out these pics of beautiful women with craaaaazy shrinkage!